I had previously looked into getting a JAE-100 stock from J. Allen Enterprises to give the rifle a more modern / tactical look and functionality. But I ultimately decided not to go that route because of the extremely high price (almost more than the actual rifle), and the 1+ year wait times to get one.
Recently I came across a new replacement stock for the M1A called the Archangel. When I purchased it from Midway USA, it was on sale for around $120, which is about 80% less than a JAE-100, and it has most of the features I wanted in a new precision replacement stock.
Here is some info on the stock, directly from the manufacturer website.
The next generation, fully adjustable stock for Springfield M1A™ and M14 rifles. Drop-in fit. Built entirely of our proprietary, lightweight, carbon fiber reinforced polymer. Impervious to weather, and will withstand all standard gun solvents and oils. The Archangel M1A™ Precision Stock is tough as nails, and will deliver outstanding accuracy shot after shot, year after year.
- Extremely durable construction, yet weighs only 4.2 lbs.
- Precision fit inlet provides excellent accuracy.
- Length of pull is thumbwheel click adjustable from 13-5/8″ to 14-13/16″
- Cheek riser is thumbwheel click adjustable in .05″ increments.
- Equipped with two standard sling swivel studs.
- Incorporates 4 integral steel inserts for ball-lock/push-button QD sling swivels
- Grip storage compartment
- Integrated forend Picatinny rail with extended rail cover.
Close up of the ribbed "Drop-in" section of the stock. I am told the ribbed sections offer greater strength while limiting weight.
The angled grip also has a storage compartment. Currently I have my "BoreSnake" stored in this compartment.
Here is the lower Picatinny rail. I will be installing my Harris Bi-Pod towards the front using a quick detach bi-pod adapter, and will use a standard rail protector on the remainder of the rail to make it more comfortable to hold.
I decided to add a second smaller Picatinny rail to the bottom of the buttstock. This was done so that I could use a Mono-pod, Accu-Shot PRM (Precision Rail Monopod) with Quick Knob Option, for greater stabilization when shooting in prone. I had to file down a small part of the stock where there was a sling attachment, and drill two small holes to accept a Magpul L2 MOE Rail Section.
Installing this secondary rail was very easy and it works perfectly.
Here is another shot of the new rail directly from the side. Here you can also see the click-wheels that are used to adjust both the length of pull, and the cheek riser. They work very well, and are pretty solid.
Here we have an exploded view of the M1A's upper receiver, and the trigger assembly, ready to be dropped into the new stock. You can also see the bi-pod and mono-pods have been installed as well.
Here we have the fully assembled rifle along with the new stock. Installation was very easy with the included instructions. I did have to file down a tiny part of the stock as recommended in the instructions, but overall took no more than 10min to get everything nice and snug. There is no noticeable play, and everything feels very solid.
Same as above, but with the bi-pod and mono-pod deployed. Looks pretty sweet!
I had some extra foam from the hard-case that I made for my Drone, so I decided to use it to make a new foam insert since the stock now has a different shape.
Using the Pick and Pull foam, I was able to make a perfect "mold" for the M1A's new outline. It fits perfectly and will do an excellent job protecting my M1A. I have only had one opportunity so far to shoot with the new stock installed. My groupings are just as good, if not a tad better, and because of the adjustable components, the rifle is now a perfect fit for me. I haven't done enough shooting with it to give it a full review, but so far I am very pleased with both the look and performance of this new stock.
Thanks for taking a look. Now time to get back to my posting progress about the Drone.