Friday, June 17, 2016

Project Open Core: Hardware - Displays & Peripherals

I am working on wrapping up hardline bends and sleeving, and will post on those topics once completed. As my last “Hardware” post, going to run through my Displays & Peripherals.

I am a consultant, and about 50% of my job is on the road.  When not traveling I work from home. For my setup, I went with a custom Sit/Stand desk with motorized legs.  I usually start the day standing, but by 2-3pm, the knees start to ache a bit and I drop the desk and pull up a chair.  My displays are wall mounted, on articulating arms.  Although I can adjust them to my heart’s content, I have found a good location for them that I can use while standing or sitting, so they never move.


Using 3 monitors currently in a PLP configuration.

  • Primary Display - 30in Dell 3011U @ 2650x1600
  • Side Displays - 20in Dell 2007FP @ 1200x1600  (x2)

Total resolution is 3850x1600, which gives me a lot of good workspace.  Here is what the desktop looks like in a seamless “Print Screen”.  Using Display Fusion to manage my wallpapers, and a few Rainmeter “skins” to customize the look of the desktop and give me system stats at a glance.



Keyboard and mouse using a Corsair K70 RGB Mechanical Keyboard, and a Logitech G502 Mouse.  Both utilize RGB LEDs, and are customizable.

The newest addition to my setup is the Saitek X-56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. Flight Controller.  I have been getting into Space Sims lately, and this has been a huge upgrade from my old but trusty Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. The difference the new X56 has from the X55 is two additional thumb control sticks for your thumbs, specifically helpful for extra control with space sims, and the addition of RGB lighting.



Here is a pic of all of them together.  Really liking that manufacturers are going with RGB lighting so you don’t have to settle for whatever color they decide to ship units with.  Very easy to match the colors of the new build.  Customization FTW!


No comments:

Post a Comment